Sunday, October 23, 2011

Three Really Great Finds

While browsing around a little antique store that I honestly didn't know existed until this weekend, I stumbled across a gold mine. Hidden on the lower shelf of a coffee table covered in knick-knacks were piles of old LIFE magazines, mainly from the 60s and 70s. While there were at least 6 that I wanted to buy, I settled on these three:

The first, an issue on the year 1968, covers everything from MLK's assassination to the Democratic National Convention. There are, of course, some great tidbits on the Vietnam War stuck in there.

The second, from 1968, is an issue on the Presidency. It is filled with pictures of LBJ in his office, with his family, and speaking to his advisers.

The third was, for me, one of the most exciting finds. This issue has a small section devoted to the bombing halts of 1968. I'm currently writing a research paper on the debates surrounding these same bombing halts. I am also working on an honors thesis on Clark Clifford, Johnson's Secretary of Defense in 1968, and he appears in many of the photographs in this issue.


The other customers were probably giving me strange looks, as I did a little dance every time I stumbled across something new and exciting in each of these magazines.

Now I just have to figure out what I am going to do with them...

AGW

No comments:

Post a Comment